Friday, September 10, 2010

Opportunities Abound!

Mornin'! 
After just about zero sleep, my cold isn't much better, and so the onslaught of tea continues. Today I had only one class, which gives me more time to explore (and/or sleep) for the rest of the day :)
The front of a brownstone on Bay State Rd. 
I pass so many brownstones on my way to and from the center of BU, where my classes are, that I figured I'd share an awesome architectural feature of one of the brownies on my side of the street. Each of the brownstones has an awesome entryway, and no two next to each other are the same. 


The Admissions building
The Admissions building, just about a half a mile from my dorm, is almost completely covered in ivy and generally has prospective students and their families milling around outside of it. Today the walkway was empty, so I decided to take the opportunity :)
The Sheraton! (aka Shelton Hall) 91 Bay State Road
Shelton, my home for this year, was built in 1923 as a Sheraton Hotel. The dining room is now obviously the dining hall, and the rooms are in a suite style that probably haven't changed much since they were hotel suites. The ninth floor, however, has panoramic windows that allow you to see a TON of Boston and Cambridge (pictures to eventually follow) including (but not limited to) MIT, the Citgo sign, Fenway, the Prudential Building (aka the Pru), and excellent views of Bay State brownstones! Hooray!
One other thing. When Shelton was the Sheraton, Eugene O'Neill, a rather famous playwright, I'm told, lived on the fourth floor until he died of some illness. Eugene haunts the fourth floor, which is, you guessed it!, my floor. I can certainly see where stories of hauntings come from, though. The lights are considerably dimmer on my floor than any other, and the elevator (which I can hear through the paper-thin wall of my room) stops at my floor frequently when no one is in it and no one has pushed the button... 
So! With that lovely tale aside, I welcome you to Boston, through the eyes of me, BeeSweezy!